Welcome to the Office of Vice President for Academic Affairs

Awol Seid (PhD)

Associate Professor
Vice President for Academic Affairs

Since Dec 2021 – Present

Currently, WU offers almost 80 undergraduate degrees, the majority of which are three to five years long. The tutorial program, which is a key facet of undergraduate teaching and learning process at WU, underpins a culture of close academic supervision and careful personal support for students. At the graduate level, WU offers more than 60 graduate programs, ranging from two to three or more years in length (e.g., three or more years in the College of Medicine and Health Sciences). Graduate teaching is departmentally-based, centering on supervisions and small group sessions led by senior faculty members and guest professors. WU’s graduate students make a major contribution to the research endeavor of the University, and the nation at large, and the University’s provision of graduate education opportunities plays an important role in training future generations of scientists, technologists, researchers, educators and business leaders. The faculty development plan of the University has been growing well with a total number of academic staffs amount to 1,609, out of which 646 are on study leaves. Currently 8% of all faculties have PhD compared to below 0.5% ten years ago. But this is nowhere near the target of 30% in 2020. A lot more needs to be done in the area of faculty development. Currently, there are 15,928 regular students (40.3% are female) enrolled of whom 826 are regular postgraduates (17.43% are female). The University anticipates an undergraduate regular enrollment of 17,000 by 2020. WU’s Director for Continuing and Distance Education is one of the largest providers of continuing education in the North Central part of the Amhara Regional State of Ethiopia. It trains more than 12,237 undergraduate and graduate students in summer, extension and distance programs, from certificates and diplomas to master’s degrees. In general, there are more than 28,165 students from the nine Reginal State and Two City administration of Ethiopia at WU. Though a small bodies of the total population, 36 students are citizens of foreign countries, including 88.9% of undergraduates and 11.1% of graduates. Besides, we have already achieved the 70:30 training direction by the MoSHE of Ethiopia, 76% being in the areas of Sciences and Technology; and the remaining 24% are studying social science disciplines.

To this end, the Office of Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA) provides leadership and support for Colleges, Deanships, Directors and Offices overseen by the VPAA to foster continued educational excellence, quality academic programs and services opportunities for faculty and students at WU. The VPAA is highly committed to assuring academic quality in the planning, implementation, and management of academic progress and initiatives at WU. The VPAA oversees the academic operations of the University’s Colleges, Schools, Institutes, the Director for Academic Affairs Office, the Director for Registrar and Alumni Management Office, the Director of Graduate Studies Office, the Director for Continuing and Distance Education Office, the Director for University Libraries, the Office of Deliverology Unit, and the Director Office for Tutorial Program. The VPAA, Deans, directors, coordinators, faculty members and all stakeholders are all partners, working together at WU to improve the quality of education in order to prepare the next generation to become technologists, innovators, leaders, decision-makers, and entrepreneurs. The University’s growing libraries, teaching laboratories and workshops, information systems and broadband infrastructure, across both campuses, provide a growing and modern learning environment. The VPAA Office of WU is working hard to leverage the latest technology-enabled framework to enhance the overall teaching and learning experience of its staff members and students.

Thank you for visiting our website.

Scroll to Top